Sunday, June 28, 2009

fruits of the spirit

Fresh California apricots



Ingredients: apricots, sugar, lemon juice.













What a busy weekend...phew! I got this brilliant idea to help the kids with some revenue for their first upcoming trip to South Africa, but I had no idea the work I had in store for me. The things we do for our kids! They are traveling together in the early part of August, by themselves, without an organization, to explore something they've had on their hearts for some time. They would like to start up or take over an orphanage in the not-so-distant future. So they want to link up with some people who have done this and try to get as many of their friends (in the future) on board who can contribute their gifts and talents to help run the place (sporadically as time permits, interested?). I told them, "I'm in"...yes, I know...we are crazy, truly. I would only be able to spend my summers there, but I would, with a joyful heart...especially if I hadn't seen my own kids in a while. I've struggled with this dream of theirs, but purely for selfish reasons. Now I'm on the sidelines cheering them on, scraping together a few dollar bills that come my way. When I prayed about it, I received (much to my surprise) bags and bags full of freshly-picked apricots...and I was told peaches are next. Ask and you shall receive...so jam it is! Need a jar? Of course it's delicious, canned with TLC.
8 oz =$5, 4 oz=$3. Shipped anywhere in the U.S. for an additional, one-time charge of $5 or $3. (If you want more than one jar, I'll pay the difference). I dislike shipping charges, but otherwise it would defeat the purpose. I told the kids this is a bad time to be fundraising, but it's hard to set aside a God plan when things just seem to be coming together. The most important thing to me though are prayers for their safety and awareness. When I was raising my kids I never imagined such a trip would be in the making. They have a lot of big ideas for only being 19 and 22. My son's girlfriend, who I introduced some time ago, Susanna, is in Kabale right now for a few more weeks. If you read her blog, you might get a better idea of the love that is born from the African experience. More than anything, I understand...even when I don't want to. I could never ask them to ignore something God has placed in their hearts. If you would like to contribute to this crazy adventure, simply make your jam size selection, add the appropriate shipping charge and hit the "Donate" button on the left side bar and fill in the total amount. I would encourage you to pray about it before you make a spontaneous decision....and as always, I just appreciate you spending the time to read this far. I usually shy away from blogs that ask for money...especially in this economy, but this is for a really good cause and I feel it is more honorable to provide you with something in return. As this week kicks off, wish me luck in selling a bajillion jars of Apricot jam. After this week, I do not want to see another apricot for a long, long time.

a little boy from Kabale (I borrowed this picture from Susanna).

12 comments:

Marge said...

Oh, Joni, it doesn't surprise me one bit that your kids would attempt such an ambitious and generous task. Look who their mother is! Please keep us updated on the progress of this mission. And thanks for the girlfriend's site.....looks like a worthwhile read that I will be checking out. And don't be surprised if you get an order for jam from the wilds of Alaska!

You and your kids will be in my thoughts, prayers, and heart. Be blessed, my friend.

Denise said...

What a wonderful undertaking for those kids...... Shows their raisin'

AND does this mean that when you do make another batch of jelly I will be too old to enjoy!

hahahhaha

I who knows I might have to buy a jar!

Annie said...

wow..Joni..you are amazing..all that Jam...May God bless your efforts and those of your kids. Well done. Hard to live with kid's decisions but good they are going for God!

I won't ask for you to ship any to me...they prob wouldn't allow it in the country anyway, Australia having some of the strictest quarantine laws in the world.

But prayers for your efforts. Strange that I have just finished reading Dreams of My Father, (Obama)

Donna said...

I'm in! I'm in Texas, so what do I need to do?
Email me!
DLSTAAS@YAHOO.COM
hughugs

Sally said...

How very admirable of your children, Joni. I wish them the best!!

kimberly said...

i can truly understand your words here, joni....and love the way you write about your fears and concerns....and yet feeling the need to be willing for God's plan....i would love to be one of the helpers....and who knows....what the coming years might make possible!!!
i will indeed love to have some tlc jam!!! so email me also, please and let me know what i need to do.
hugs dear friend,
kimberly

Annette said...

Hey! I have the great idea...O..O...
first off, how many jars of jam do you have? secondly, what do you think about me asking people in the department if they'd like to buy some and I'll explain the reason of course ;) and get an order with the money and come by and shop. I wont say nothing until I get an ok from you, when God puts something on your heart, you are to obey the father, lucky them and your a great mom for being so supportive. I love you so much.
Love ya~
Nettie

Carol Dunton said...

Joni, you are just an angel among us...I admire your spirit and love and compassion. God bless you and the kids and everyone involved...I hope this becomes grander than anyone could have ever expected!! Sending love and blessings your way...
VB

Brenda said...

How lucky your children are to have you!

Susanna Boone said...

hmm that picture looks a litte bit familiar! i'm so excited for erik and kristin!

Vicki ~ FL said...

God bless your kids for wanting and pursuing a worthwhile dream of theirs.

Please email me with info on how to order your yummy looking jam.

Lisa said...

hey, if you have any jars left email me, I would be interested in getting two or three from you.

Sun Salutation

Here I am, adrift in a day filled with smoldering breezes that are quick to turn stagnant, looking for the sun to burn away the dust and sm...