I’m not sure really why I like vintage buttons, but I do. I have many fragmented memories that probably contribute to my attraction toward them. I remember my grandmother and my mother removing buttons from garments before the pieces went toward quilt tops…and consequently I have snuggled up in the folds of many quilts looking at the designs and remembering when they were dresses or blouses. I also remember a heart shaped button being placed inside a rag doll that was made especially for me (to give her a heart). I don’t know whatever happened to the doll, but I remember the ceremonial sewing that took place and how I waited so patiently for that doll to be finished. I can remember lying on the floor with my own kids, sorting buttons into colors and looking at some of their unique designs together. I remember us girls trying to figure out how we could convert some of them into earrings and of course we have used a fair share of them doing crafts and art projects, but for the most part they just sit as keepsakes. Every now and then I pour them out and run my fingers over their smooth surfaces and remember certain outfits my mother wore. I know when I touch them that she has touched them and that is reason enough for me to treasure them.
3 comments:
i have great memories of buttons also, joni.....my grandmother (mom's mom) lived several hours from us and when i would go and visit.....she always had a button box full of the most amazing buttons (or so i thought)...something i always looked forward to doing....i now have a jar of buttons and Christmas of 2006, my youngest daughter presented all of her sisters with button boxes of their very own....that she found by scouring the antique stores.....they do have so many memories attached to them....funny what something so small can hold.
have a wonderful day!
I used to sort buttons too, my Mum kept them in a big jar. I love the colours especially mother of pearl buttons.
Wonderful memory Joni. There is something about holding buttons in your hands that just give comfort. Thanks for telling us about your buttons. I really enjoyed the story about your dolls heart button. :)
Post a Comment