Sunday, August 16, 2009

sending Earl home

















I am so sorry, I forgot today was the Brenda Photo Challenge. The last two days have been really busy for me and it completely slipped my mind. Between getting Earl situated and helping another friend organize a memorial in the park for her boyfriend who passed away - I've been a little preoccupied. Homeless people can keep you very busy you know!

Last night went well. I found Earl under a tree and he was upset that someone had ripped him off (again). He had become quite an easy target I think. So we visited and I asked him how he'd like to go home TONIGHT. I could tell he was searching my eyes to discern if I was serious or not. When he realized I meant right now - his eyes filled up. So we left his blanket right there beneath the tree for someone else to find. I brought him home with me. My neighbors stared as we got out of the car and I wondered what they were thinking, but I really didn't care. I showed him around my home and let me tell you...if you ever want to regain appreciation for the things you take for granted, bring a homeless person into your life. I had fixed a dinner I thought he might like with roast, mashed potatoes, and corn, but he wasn't hungry and settled for sweet tea. After a while he took a shower and got all cleaned up and I washed what clothes he had in his backpack. He repacked everything and I made him a bunch of peanut butter and jelly sandwiches to take with him. Without refrigeration his choices were minimal, but he was graciously appreciative. We arrived at Greyhound in time to wait for about an hour and finally the bus rolled in. Getting him all checked in with only a confirmation number and password was easy, but when I reminded the driver that he needed assistance with his transfers I was confronted with one of the rudest people I have ever met. The driver informed me he had too much to remember and if I wanted my passenger to be assisted I should be on the bus with him. We exchanged a few more "pleasantries" and then a young man who overheard my dilemma volunteered to help Earl out at his first transfer. Thank goodness. Now I only pray that he will have a little guardian angel all the way to his destination. I don't know if Greyhound has checkpoints where you can call to confirm transfer success, but tomorrow I will call and see if he made it to where he's suppose to be by then. Bless his heart, he's such a nice man and his family is so excited that he is coming home. I called his daughter when I returned home and she was waiting up for the call (3:30 a.m. her time). We talked for almost an hour - she had so many questions. So goes the Earl saga. His daughter promised to let me know if he showed up at her end. Last night was kind of bittersweet and yes, I did get a little tiny tiny tear in my eye, but the joy in my heart outweighed everything else. Oh, and Annette...he said to tell you bye - "my friend with the pierced nose" - Bon voyage Earl....we wish you a happy reunion, but maybe not so many adventures! Now....have I ever told you guys about Byron??? Ha, ha...just kidding. Maybe.

13 comments:

Annette said...

I am bawling on this end, he remembered me, I was going to call you and ask if I could tag along, but I knew last night would be the last time you might see Earl, and I wanted you to have your time. I told everyone that I knew that help take care of him in the hospital what took place and everyone of them just smiled and said "God is good" and your friends angels wings are waiting. Dont get me going on how wonderful and specail I think you are!
I SO LOVE YOU, SO SO SO SO SO SO SO SO SO SO VERY MUCH
Nettie

Annette said...

p.s.

Look what I wrote under Earls picture....
XOXOXOXOXOX
Nettie

Historical sites with charmine said...

I came here to see your photos from the challenge,but i am glad to hear you were out helping a homeless man.I think that is wonderful and mighty kind of you to do.I hope Earl reaches safely.God we shall look to.

kimberly said...

oh joni.....i checked all day yesterday, and then had plans until late last night...and babysitting this morning...so....here i am and loved hearing the update and seeing photos of earl looking like change is coming!!!
i was worried about the driver and all that...and that really doesn't surprise me....but if people would just realize they don't have to be rude....and they could just go out of their way a bit....like the young man...hopefully all will go well....i have been praying ever since reading the news, that he will be protected, safe and get to his family!!!!!
please keep us posted if/when you hear the news...
love you,
kimberly

Marge said...

Bless you, Joni. That's all I have to say. Bless you.

Donna said...

I am praying that he gets there safely and more angels assist him in his journey home!

Once he gets there safey, please consider writing up the story of Earl and submit it to a publication like Readers Digest! Please?!

Irene said...

I waited anxiously for your news today, and do write up a story, it could be "chicken soup submission. Keep us informed.

Maria said...

I am so touched by your story. You are truly the love of Christ on this earth in a very real way. I know you will be abundantly blessed for this gift for Earl. I will share your story and Earl's with others. I am in tears touched by your love and kindness for a stranger. God bless you!

Annie said...

whew, Joni...that is just amazing. Good on you...and thanks to God for finding Earl's family. I certainly hope he manages all those transfers on the way home. I will be looking forward to hearing he arrived safely! May the Lord continue to bless you Joni and your efforts to bless the homeless people in your town.

In the meantime, my little US (NYC) family are home for a short break. We are staying on and off in Toowoomba for her cousin's wedding where she will be matron of honor on Saturday. I am praying they have a safe journey home tonight up the range after visiting friends here today. We are so lucky to be blessed with our families who come home and visit.

Sally said...

Oh goodness! I'm praying Earl finds his way home, and once again, Joni, I wish there were more people like you in this here world. ((hugs))

kimberly said...

is it today around 12:30?....just checking?.....be sure and let us know dear joni!!!
xoxoxo
kimberly

Donna said...

You are SO special little love!!! I pray he made it!!hughugs

Denise said...

What a beautiful life.....what a wonderful God...... What a gift you were to Earl.....

Sun Salutation

Here I am, adrift in a day filled with smoldering breezes that are quick to turn stagnant, looking for the sun to burn away the dust and sm...