Tuesday, February 3, 2009

fresh squeezed

Thank you Patti for this cute little Lemonade Award (but mostly for thinking I have gratitude and/or attitude). I kind of got a chuckle out of it because you have no idea that I have been on a big lemonade kick...maybe it's my yearning for warmer weather...and yes, I live in California and it's been spring-like, but I get really cold and I can't keep tapping the heater on because the utility companies like to charge me when I do that. Do you ever wonder how your bills compare to other states? Well I do! Here are my bills for this month...next month I might have to build a real lemonade stand just to help pay the bills! The neighbor's tree is loaded with lemons and they are never home...do you think they would notice?

Electricity: $174.40
Gas: $132.45
Water/garbage: $94.38 (without a meter!)
Telephone (Home landline and 4 cells with unlimited texting) $184.86
TV & Internet fiberoptics: $87.88
Car Insurance (4 people with multiple discounts, good driving records): $375.00

Of course this doesn't include my mortgage and fuel and yadda yadda yadda...and the state of California is thinking about giving out IOU's for state tax refunds...good grief! Talk about a sour note...but that's a rant for another day!

I think all of my sweet blogging friends have Attitude and Gratitude so if you haven't received this award already...please snag this one and have a glass of lemonade....don't forget to leave your fifty cents!

11 comments:

Annette said...

I got one too, but I'm too poor to put up a lemonade stand, my dollars are just like yours, can I give you an IOU on my glass of lemonade? but I wont give you an IOU on friendship!!

Love Always
Nettie

Lisa said...

Oh that is really cute! But I can't get past the IOU for state taxes. Do you think if you owed the state money you could slip in an IOU for them? I just have a feeling not.

Anonymous said...

I live here in California, too! Central Coast ... and, our bills are similiar to yours. Today is a 70's day w/rain tomorrow, which I love rain and don't we need it, too. I sure hope we don't get IOU's ... those don't spend now do they!? Sheez.

Sally said...

I was feeling sorta bad about my water bill until I saw yours!! YIKES!! We've had some rain lately, so I'm hoping the bill reflects that.

A very nice award for a very nice lady!! :)

Jules~ said...

An IOU for tax refunds?! That blows my mind. I have heard from a friend who's aunt is ateacher in Ca. that California teachers are looking at the prospect of that for partial salary.

I can't compare all of my bills at the moment because hubby owns that job. But I do know that recently our electric bill was $232. The electric co. just authorized a 5.25% increase that was retro-active on our last bill. So here is me trying not to fume and steam with sarcasm.

Blessings to you today my friend.

pchickki said...

Oh you are so darn cute!
I love lemonade and miss my lemon tree in CA. You deserve this award my friend...so much.

Yes, bills are just getting outrageous and I am scared for alot of people. Things are getting worse not better and there are more people out of work than have been in YEARS! All we can do is pray right?

I will send a check tomorrow! Giggle Giggle!!
Love ya
Patti

Marge said...

One of the morning news shows was talking about the tax refund IOU's the other day and the hostess said:

Dear state, Things are a bit rough this month. You know, higher gas and electric bills and such, so here is my IOU for X amount of dollars. Bye bye.
Love ya!

That 'love ya' at the end just cracked me up!

Hang in there, dear friend! We're all in the same boat, aren't we. And if we're going down, we're all going down together.

And I've been meaning to tell you that I love your Winnie quote on top of this comment box!

Grace said...

Hi Joni, this is my first time here and I enjoyed reading your post. :)

Mary Ellen said...

Here in Maine we get the distinction of being either the number one or two MOST TAXED state, so I feel your pain. We pay unbelievably high taxes on everything here.

BTW, I love playing with the fish. They make me smile!

Denise said...

I got one of those and need to get it on my blog!!!!!!!!! I have been tooooooo busy to squeeze! hahahhah and here is my 50 cents! but when you figure on the inflation it is really only worth 35 cents! Maybe .30....... The sunshine in California sounds a bit expensive..

Debbie said...

You're fish are now extremely well fed for one glass of lemonade!

This is an adorable award (of course coming from Patti it would be) :)She's one creative chick!

I'm on a much cheaper budget here in NC. It's cheaper to live here than in CA. But my water bill has crept up to close to $50 and I never understood why.

Electric: $147 this month. My heat is electric. Reminds me, I need to go turn it down. It's risen to 37 degrees outside! LOL

Getting the blanket...

Sun Salutation

Here I am, adrift in a day filled with smoldering breezes that are quick to turn stagnant, looking for the sun to burn away the dust and sm...