Friday, April 18, 2008

far away fridays




















Every summer of my kid’s lives has been charmed by this beautiful place called Pinecrest…well, up until two years ago anyway, that’s when their lives began filling with obligations of work schedules and family campouts had to take the backseat….one of the lesser attractions of growing up. My family loves this lake for its family atmosphere and its breathtaking design. Every summer allowed each of us the opportunity to explore different levels of nature. Here we could unwind by the campfire, kayak, fish, hike, or even explore more adventurous trails a bit higher where even more beauty could be discovered. This is the lake where I could let my kids go (greater distances each summer) with walkie-talkies in their pockets and not have to worry too much about them. Each year we would meet dear friends and catch-up with each other’s lives around the campfire. At Pinecrest there is a long-lived tale about a boy who went missing, so every night after dark when families are sitting around the campfire, they each take turns yelling at the top of their lungs, “Elmer!” I never could figure out why the little ones got such a great kick out of this, but it has been going on for years and years. I love family camping…the marshmallows…the smell of campfire…the sleeping bags…the pine trees…waking up to the brisk reality of another way to live and breathe…and of course, coffee never tasted so good! My very first experience at Pinecrest was with Annette and her family when we were little girls and then after Dave and I got married we went every year with family and friends…some of the people have moved away, and some have passed away, but I know my kids have very fond memories of stories and friends they have made for themselves, just as I do. I really hope it is a place we can revisit soon…it never seems to change…and that’s part of its charm.

7 comments:

kimberly said...

oh i love your post, joni.....brings back so many memories for me and my family also....i have camped since i was a wee one....and we still camp to this day.....tho not enough! it is a beautiful place....i, too, hope you get to go back soon!

i actually wasn't going to post this a.m......had grandkids late last night and a little sick one coming this morning....but maybe i'll share our camping place too!
have a wonderful day,
xo,
kimberly

pchickki said...

Good Morning Joni
Have you had your coffee yet?

Thanks for the comments on the driftwood art and also for letting me know I can see one of your Mothers dolls on your blog. I will find it! What a lucky little girl you were. Did she make lost of dolls for you to play with also? I would probably be like her and not want to part with any of them.

God Bless You
Patti

Phyllis Russell Franklin said...

Wow, what a wonderful place to spend a Summer day! Thanks for the visit.

Have a good weekend.

Anonymous said...

Just beautiful! I feel like I'm there almost in your description.

Annette said...

Thank you for refreshing my memory, I havent been there in years, but I do remember the paddle boats, and that lake as well, it seemed huge to me then. nice to go back and visit with you, Thank you dear friend. luv Nettie

Karen said...

My youngest son and I have started going camping with a group of friends in the fall and spring of each year. We will be camping next weekend, one week from tonight, listening to the crickets and looking up at the stars. Thanks for getting me in the right frame of mind! What a beautiful setting to enjoy.

Debbie said...

Joni...such a beautiful camping area and a wonderful story!

Elmer!!!!

Sun Salutation

Here I am, adrift in a day filled with smoldering breezes that are quick to turn stagnant, looking for the sun to burn away the dust and sm...