Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Tuesday's Treasure














Since it is the week of Valentine’s Day the treasure I want to share today is a little heart pin that little hands made especially for me. The funny thing is, although I have kept it for all these years I really don’t remember which one of my kids gave it to me. I took it out and asked them yesterday and they couldn’t remember either…so I guess I’m not the only one who can’t remember things…but nevertheless it is special, because it marks a time when the kids were eager to come home at the end of a school day and share the events of their day…when toothy grins and an eagerness to please melted my heart. They can still melt my heart, but the difference is now they know when they are doing it, whereas when they were little their generosities came spontaneously out of love with no greater purpose. So back in the keepsake box it goes with the yarn necklaces and handmade clay beads that Betty Flintstone would absolutely swoon over…a little heart…a little token to remind me of those days that went by all too quickly.

5 comments:

kimberly said...

love it, joni.....i have so many little treasures that the kids have given me when they were little...and like you, i don't remember who gave me everything, but it doesn't change the meaning.
i remember well, the look of complete joy and excitement on their faces when gifting me with their homemade treasures.....a wonderful memory!
have a lovely day,
kimberly

Phyllis Russell Franklin said...

The other day I saw a mother wearing a macaroni necklace. She wore it so proudly like it was fine jewelry. Only another mother could understand why. Thanks for telling us about your fine jewelry Joni. It’s beautiful!

kimberly said...

i just returned home and found a very sweet valentine package in my mail....i too, could not wait til thursday, and started the opening process....i did, however, take my time to enjoy all the little special "touches" that were so sweetly placed......i absolutely love.love.love it, joni...how sweet and beautiful! like phyllis put so well....from someone i have never met, but get a picture of more each day through your touching words.....thank you so very much for your heartfelt gift.....from my heart!

Annette said...

I too recieved a beautiful little package in the mail, but I dont wait, I tore into and recived a very specail gift, and it's sitting on my mantle... I love it, love it, love it, love it. I love your storey as well.

Anonymous said...

Just beautiful: when they were little their generosities came spontaneously out of love with no greater purpose. Aww that just melts my heart too.

Hugs.

Sun Salutation

Here I am, adrift in a day filled with smoldering breezes that are quick to turn stagnant, looking for the sun to burn away the dust and sm...