Wouldn't you like to be a fly on the wall sometimes? In one of my classes we are talking about the perspectives of truth and how there might be one incident with several variations of it because we all see things differently. This prompted me to start thinking about people and the perspective they inflict on others by the impression they try to make. So I'm wondering, who are you when no one is looking? I am not suggesting that there are hypocrites lurking about [although there are] but simply that there are levels of behavior that are deemed acceptable in different social spheres, but what would others think of you if they could see you at all of your moments? What do you think of yourself knowing first hand what you know to be the real you? This might be how some addictions come to surface when people are looking for recovery? It's not enough that we utter derogatory words under our breath when someone pulls out in front of us or when we are gently irritated by a loved one and we roll our eyes as we walk away. Are these actions that we would otherwise be embarrassed of if they were seen or heard? Are we cheating others by not letting them get to know the real us? Or are we sparing them? Kind of like Jekyll and Hyde. I think we all have a little of that in us, but then where does that leave us standing when we are in front of God? He has that omnipresent thing going on, so I am hoping that any flies on my wall will see me trying to adhere to my true nature and that it will be something I won't have to ask forgiveness for later. Makes you wonder though...would we approve of our own actions if we could see them from afar?
Thursday, October 4, 2007
Who are you really?
Wouldn't you like to be a fly on the wall sometimes? In one of my classes we are talking about the perspectives of truth and how there might be one incident with several variations of it because we all see things differently. This prompted me to start thinking about people and the perspective they inflict on others by the impression they try to make. So I'm wondering, who are you when no one is looking? I am not suggesting that there are hypocrites lurking about [although there are] but simply that there are levels of behavior that are deemed acceptable in different social spheres, but what would others think of you if they could see you at all of your moments? What do you think of yourself knowing first hand what you know to be the real you? This might be how some addictions come to surface when people are looking for recovery? It's not enough that we utter derogatory words under our breath when someone pulls out in front of us or when we are gently irritated by a loved one and we roll our eyes as we walk away. Are these actions that we would otherwise be embarrassed of if they were seen or heard? Are we cheating others by not letting them get to know the real us? Or are we sparing them? Kind of like Jekyll and Hyde. I think we all have a little of that in us, but then where does that leave us standing when we are in front of God? He has that omnipresent thing going on, so I am hoping that any flies on my wall will see me trying to adhere to my true nature and that it will be something I won't have to ask forgiveness for later. Makes you wonder though...would we approve of our own actions if we could see them from afar?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Sun Salutation
Here I am, adrift in a day filled with smoldering breezes that are quick to turn stagnant, looking for the sun to burn away the dust and sm...
-
Refining myself daily from the inside out... Feeling blessed by the simple things: sunshine laughter love
-
Life is funny. At the beginning of the semester I pressed my slacks so as to be sure to look professional in all of my classes. I went to be...
No comments:
Post a Comment